Dark social is a term used to describe the sharing of content and information through private channels, such as email, messaging apps, and word-of-mouth. It is difficult or impossible to track using traditional web analytics tools, but it is believed to account for a significant portion of web traffic and conversions.
Dark social is important for B2B marketers for a number of reasons. First, it is a trusted source of information for buyers. Buyers are more likely to trust recommendations from their peers and colleagues than they are to trust advertising from brands.
Second, dark social can help B2B marketers reach their target audience in a more personal and relevant way. When buyers share content with each other, they are essentially saying that it is relevant and valuable to them. This makes it more likely that other buyers will be interested in the content as well.
Third, dark social can help B2B marketers generate leads and sales. When buyers share content with each other, they are essentially creating a referral pathway. This means that B2B marketers can reach new potential customers through the referrals of their existing customers.
Why should B2B marketers care about dark social
Dark social is important for B2B marketers because it accounts for a significant portion of web traffic. According to one study, dark social accounts for up to 84% of all shared content. This means that a large percentage of your potential customers are discovering your content through dark social channels.
Despite its importance, dark social can be difficult to measure and track. This is because dark social traffic does not come through traditional channels, such as search engines or social media platforms.
How can B2B marketers leverage dark social
While dark social can be difficult to track, there are a number of things that B2B marketers can do to leverage it. Here are a few tips:
- Create high-quality content that is worth sharing. The best way to encourage people to share your content on dark social is to create content that is informative, engaging, and relevant to your target audience. This could include blog posts, articles, infographics, videos, or even e-books and white papers.
- Make it easy for people to share your content. Include social sharing buttons on your website and blog posts. You can also create easy-to-share images and videos.
- Promote your content on social media. Even though dark social traffic doesn't come directly from social media platforms, social media can be a great way to promote your content and get people to share it on dark social channels.
- Run social media contests and giveaways. This is a great way to generate excitement and engagement around your brand. When people participate in your contests and giveaways, they are more likely to share your content with their friends and colleagues.
- Build relationships with key influencers. By building relationships with key influencers in your industry, you can increase the chances that they will share your content with their followers.
- Encourage your customers to share your content. Let your customers know how much you appreciate them sharing your content. You can do this by offering them discounts, incentives, or other rewards.
In addition to the above, here are some other tips for leveraging dark social for B2B marketing:
- Use email marketing. Email marketing is a great way to share your content with your subscribers and encourage them to share it with their friends and colleagues.
- Attend industry events. Industry events are a great way to meet potential customers and build relationships with influencers. When you meet people at industry events, be sure to give them your business card and encourage them to connect with you on social media.
- Write guest blog posts. Writing guest blog posts is a great way to get your content in front of a new audience. When you write a guest blog post, be sure to include a link back to your website so that readers can learn more about your company and your products or services.
- Create webinars and online courses. Webinars and online courses are a great way to share your expertise with your target audience and position yourself as a thought leader. When you create a webinar or online course, be sure to promote it on social media and encourage your followers to share it with their friends and colleagues.
I have compiled a list of podcast episodes that discuss dark social, along with links to listen to each episode and summaries of their content. These episodes provide a wealth of information on dark social, including what it is, why it's important for businesses, and how to leverage it to reach your target audience and grow your business.
Neil Patel and Eric Siu discuss what dark social is and why it matters for businesses. They also share some tips on how to leverage dark social to reach your target audience and grow your business.
The Growth Show:
Sean Ellis and David Skok discuss dark social, the hidden force that drives a significant portion of web traffic and conversions. They also share some tips on how to leverage dark social to grow your business.
Social Media Marketing:
In this episode, Michael Stelzner discusses dark social, the hidden force that drives a significant portion of web traffic and conversions. He also shares some tips on how to create high-quality content that is worth sharing and make it easy for people to share your content.
B2B Marketing Today
In this episode, Scott Brinker discusses dark social, the hidden force that drives a significant portion of web traffic and conversions for B2B businesses. He also shares some tips on how to leverage dark social to reach your target audience and generate more leads and sales.
In this episode, Jay Baer and Seth Godin discuss the rise of dark social and how marketers can reach their audience where they really are. They also share some tips on how to create high-quality content that is worth sharing and make it easy for people to share your content.
Dark social is a powerful channel for B2B marketers to reach their target audience. By understanding how dark social works and taking steps to leverage it, B2B marketers can increase their visibility and generate more leads and sales.
If you're looking for a growth marketing partner to help you leverage dark social, 4Geeks is a great option. 4Geeks is a team of experienced B2B marketers who can help you develop and implement a comprehensive dark social strategy.
With 4Geeks as your partner, you can be confident that you're doing everything you can to reach your target audience and grow your business.
Founded in 2012 by Allan Porras, 4Geeks is a global software engineering and revenue growth consulting firm for Fortune 500, Global 2000 and fast-growing SMBs. Provides top solutions to multiple industries including Retail, Healthcare, Banking & Financial Services, B2B SaaS, Manufacturing and Education. HQ in the USA, and delivery centers across Latin America.